Minimizing waste production and supporting reuse are our priority. Initiatives to reduce single-use plastics and paper products are in place, including using reusable plates, glasses, and cutlery in our student dining hall, The Hawk, and promoting online document sharing through Box and Google Drive.
SOU’s Reuse Initiatives Include
- Partnership with local organizations for reuse opportunities during move-in and move-out events.
- On-campus free stuff shelves in multiple buildings, including the Stevenson Union and the Science Building.
- Annual Rogue Ski and Gear Swap hosted by the Outdoor Program.
- Installation of 12 water refill stations across campus, a senior capstone project from 2016.
- The Student Recreation Center’s use of reusable wipes and spray for gym equipment.
- A free clothing swap held at the Recreation Center to reduce fast fashion and promote a circular clothing economy.